Search This Blog

Thursday, March 31, 2016

What is the Crochet Lifestyle?

As National Crochet Month draws to a close, I've mentioned before my plan to explore all aspects of living the "crochet lifestyle," but, in a way, it's kind of important to first start defining what that means.  The other day, this saying popped up on Facebook:

Crochet is not just a hobby...  It's an obsession, an occupation, an addiction, a fascination, self-expression and a way of life
I don't know to whom to attribute it, but I thought it summed things up quite nicely!  And, in all fairness, I'm sure these feelings apply to knitting, painting, cooking, working with clay, writing a poem or book, and any other type of artistic endeavor -- because each is its own beautiful way to express yourself.


The two best examples I can point to as living the crochet lifestyle are Kristin Omdahl and Drew Emborsky.  Both started out as talented crochet designers and instructors but each is branching out in his and her own ways; KKO is now offering wonderful yarns, project bags, but also branching out into tips about cooking, skin care and even furniture making; the Crochet Dude is putting his artistic expressions into beautiful zentangle notecards.  He claims to have retired from crochet, but somehow I have to believe he'll be inspired again in that medium.  I'd love to explore with both of them about their definitions of the crochet lifestyle and where they see it taking them, so I'll be reaching out to them for interviews and let's see what happens.

Which just goes to show that living the crochet lifestyle is more than just about crocheting; it seems to be about adding style to your life through artistic expression.  It's about going through each day in a carefree yet efficient way so that you'll have more time to crochet!  It's certainly what I had in mind while I was creating the Sunset Planner Portfolio -- getting organized and crocheting at the same time!  I know I promised some more organizing tips and planning pages before the end of the month, but the time just flew...  I'll be posting them soon and lots more in the days and weeks to come.  

No comments: